Thursday, March 20, 2008

And sow it begins...

Well almost. As I sat here a week ago contemplating the up coming season, I realized that in 3 weeks, 2 weeks as I write this, it would be the middle of April and time to plant out my onions.
The problem was that I wanted to treat the bed against white rot with Armatillox, and needed to leave 3 weeks between treatment and planting. The additional problems were that heavy rain was forecast for the weekend and I needed to complete a whole bunch of repairs on the car before I could put it in for its MOT.
Anyway, it didn't rain anywhere nearly as bad a forecast and the repair works, replacing the exhaust, both rear slave cylinders, and the rear brake shoes all magically went without a hitch, leaving me free to toddle down the plot Sunday afternoon and turn and treat the relevant beds. This now means in two weeks I shall be able to plant the onions which are now in a varying state between just sprouted and 8" tall. I can also think about sowing the remaining sets to get a second later crop.
Having got the car through its MOT this morning, and with the duly forecast rain arriving I decided to investigate the state of play of things in the greenhouse and cold frame.
The onions are doing nicely, even the seedlings which I think I'm probably going to have to prick out over the weekend if I can find space. The leeks on the other hand had defiantly reached the point where they needed pricking out. This meant moving the trays of onions to the mini-greenhouse to clear space in the cold-frame. Now I've sowed 3 tubs of leeks, 2 Musselburgh and 1 Atlanta. Taking the larger of the two tubs I started pricking out. After 126 the cold frame was full, and I still had another 30 left in the tub. Not sure what I'm going to do about the other tub yet as I suspect there's another 150 in there, at least there's only about 40 of the Atlanta to worry about.
The asparagus had also reached the point where it to needed pricking out. I'd mentally reserved the space for this in the greenhouse, so it wasn't going to compete for space with the leeks. After another hour, I'd duly pricked out 45 Martha Washington and 36 Convers Colossal. If I get all of these to maturity, this time next year, I may end up with a dozen of so of each available for sale.
Things had also started germinating in the propagator, so I pricked out as necessary to stop them going leggy. So far this amounts to 1 Telegraph, 1 Cobnut squash, 1 Tosca bush courgette, 1 Turks Turban, 3 Super Roma tomatoes, and half a dozen Alicante.
I'm still debating whether to plant any of my spuds this weekend. The soil's still cold, even in my light loamy garden, and the forecast is none to good. I can't even make up my mine whether to plant any in bins in the greenhouse.

No comments: