Monday, March 24, 2008

Decisions, Decisions

Well here we are at the end of the most dismal Easter I can remember. Unlike those further East and North we escaped the snow, although we did manage a few horizontal hail storms.
The bulk of my plot has been to wet to dig so I've resorted to doing other jobs. I've moved 3 trailer loads, approx 400kg and 1.5 cubic meters per load from my manure source to the Sunningdale plot. This stuff is virtually fresh having been laid out in the last 3 weeks. The stuff I had earlier was well rotten but she'd spread this out across the paddock so collecting it would have been a real pain. I've got a couple of weeks before I need to use it so I've put it in two piles to compost down a bit more.
I've also managed to get another of the raised beds on the Sunningdale plot dug through. That just leaves 1 more bed and three sections of path. If we don't get a dry spell through the week, this'll be next weekends job, along with the garden veg patch. I can then get the Maris bard in.
Having discovered the first shoots of the December tub sown Estima poking through at last on Saturday morning I also took the decision to plant up the five easily movable tubs. The five tubs sown are Anya(4), Maris Bard(4), Vales Emerald(4), Anya(2)+stray, Mayan Gold(3), the number in brackets indicating the number of tubers sown. I also remembered to label them this year so I know which is which. I'll wait for the weather to warm a little before sowing the outside dustbins. One will take the bulk of the remaining Vales Emerald, and the other either Maris Bard or International Kidney or Charlottes - I suspect this decision will wait until I what's left after sowing the Maris Bard in the veg patch.
I've also taken the plunge and tried chitting the scorzonera and parsnip seed. So far after 48 hours in the boiler cupboard I've got shoots from a few of the scorzonera but nothing from any of the parsnips. If the parsnips are still a no show by tomorrow evening then I'll try a fresh packet. One they've sprouted they're going into newspaper tubes. I think I've made about a hundred so far but I suspect I'll need about another 50 or so. We'll see if this give me a decent crop this year - it'll certainly be the first time I've managed to get any of the scorzonera to germinate.

No comments: