Sunday, March 09, 2008

Keeping Records

Some people religiously record what they plant and when, what the temperature was, and how long it takes to germinate, and what the germination rates were. I'm not one of those people and the only records I keep are here, assuming that I've got the time to write something and that I remember to do so.
Having been kept off the plot by a combination of weather and an attempt to get my car ready for its forthcoming MOT, all I have managed to do is get some sowing done.
Having kept an eye on the weather forecast all week, and expecting the weekend to be rained off I snuck in half a days leave on Wednesday and finished digging the strip I started last weekend. I also removed the asparagus from the propagator, freeing it up, and put 6 trays of compost to warm for a couple of days.
This meant that this afternoon I was able to sow into warmed compost. Where I've been planting large and easily handleable seeds I've been sowing 6 seeds per half tray, whilst with the tomatoes I just sowed a pinch. As always I ran out of room so haven't been able to plant several of the tomato varieties I wanted, most notably the outdoor ones - Money Maker & Gartenperle.
So for the record by tray
1) Squash - Turks Turban(loly) and Buttercup(loly)
2) Squash - Cob Nut(loly) and Cucumber Marketmore
3) Cucumber - Telegraph and Tasty King(loly)
4) Melon - Sweetheart (loly) and Early Sweet (loly)
5)Courgette - Defender and Tosca
6) Tomato - Black Russian and Suer Roma
7) Tomato - Alicante and Pepper - Worldbeater (loly)
loly = left over from last year- Basically the seeds left after I planted what I needed last year.
I also sowed half a rootrainer with each of Purple Tepee and another french bean I brought last year, and another margarine tub of leeks - Pandora this time.
The carrots I sowed a few weeks ago, haven't done very well at all, despite being in the greenhouse and under glass. I guess only about 30% germinated and their very slow. For this reason I've held off sowing any more and also planting any tub potatoes. If things start to warm up a little during the week I'll consider planting next weekend.
Last Wednesday I also moved both the onions, those grown from seed and the sets in cell trays, and the leek seedlings into the cold frame generating a little more space in the greenhouse. They don't seem to have suffered at all as a result of the move, but the cold frame is now full. Until I've got the plots for the potatoes done I'm not even thinking about moving any of them to the plot. I also want the leeks to put on a little more growth before I attempt to prick them out. If all goes to plan I'll be planting them out in mid May.
The problem is that as time creeps forward so the volume of seeds that need sowing increases. My wife is already muttering about sowing flower seeds and I haven't even got the bulk of the veg sown yet.
I'm now off to consult my sowing plan so until next time, happy sowing.

No comments: