Sunday, March 19, 2006

Nearly Done Digging

Perhaps an odd title for a first post but then I've nearly finished digging the new veg patch.

As the blog description says this is just a diary of what I've been doing. At some point I'll update my main web page "Vortex's Veg Patch" with stuff I've posted here.

As tomorrow (today) looks like its going to be another fine dry day I should get the digging finished.

I also need to think about additional shelving for the green house. With 3 additional trays planeted with Runner beans and sweet corn in tubes, 4 trays for the mix of lettuce, cabbage, onions, plus the trays of lupins, mezmaranthiums, and others that my wife planted we're going to rapidly run out of bench space. And before I forget there's the 6 6" pots of marigolds and the previous half dozen trays of stuff planted 3 weeks ago.

We also repotted a number of the bay trees. This particular variety is a prolific root sprouter and one of the young trees yielded an additional 3 cuttings. Hopefully with them in the green house this year whatever took the shoots out last year won't this and the main tree will put on some growth - its still got some way to go to reach the 6ft tree on my father-in-laws allotment.

I've also been looking around for bins for the potatoe crop - I'm not going to have space on the patch for all that are chitting. The local cheap shop has dustbins at £8 a pop which should do the trick. I must also try and get out to see if I can rescue that water tank off the skip. If its ok that'll give me another 40 gallons of water storage.

As I've just noticed the time I suppose I should get some sleep ;-)

No comments: