Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Trials and Tribulations

Its been a couple of interesting days. Yes a couple of those Chinese Curses sort of days. I duly rang the parish council on Monday morning - first question where do you live; Ah so you're not in the parish then - simple answer no chance unless hell freezes over.
So strike one. I then set about further researching the allotments managed by Bracknell council. There are some about as close to me as the Winkfield ones - the waiting list according to the web site two years. I'll have to see if I get a reply to my email as to what happens next.
My wife meanwhile had been taking to her mother - they have and have had an allotment in Sunningdale for more years than I've known my wife - and its our 15th Wedding Aniversary this year.
So this morning when I dropped my daughter off, I spoke to her on the subject of allotments. Now they're not working their allotment to its full potential and can offer me some space - at least enough to cope with the potatoes, brussels, and cabbages for this year - all I need to do is protect them from the badger(s), flock of Pigeons, and the more than occasional Muntjac or Sika Deer.
She's also spoken to the parish clerk and got me on the waiting list for a plot - which is interesting since up until last year there were at least 5 overgrown plots on the site. We'll see what happens.
Anyway I promised some pictures of the completed veg patch So here they are. The first one is taken looking across the gap between the end of the fence and the compost bin, which if you look at the second will give some explanation If you're wondering why the patch is fenced and sleepered then there are three reasons. The first is furry, weighs 22Kg and is named Remus. The second is smooth coated, stands 6'6" on his hind legs and is called Merlin, and the third is currently in her vivarium, can beat any hare you care to choose in a race and also the most dangerous as far as vegetables go - she's a tortoise if you haven't worked it out yet.
So now all I've got to do is wait for the weather to warm a little, the potatoes that are chitting to sprout, and build a couple of net cages to protect the peas from the local pigeons, doves, and sparrows and we'll be away.

No comments: